My Holiday in Wales

Saturday, August 23, 2014

From Monday to Thursday, my family decided to take a short break to Wales. Since I went to Spain with my grandparents, it was great to spend some time with my family and my dog was also allowed to come with us. I took this opportunity to take lots of photos over the holiday and document what we did, so I thought I'd share it with you. Note, this is a lifestyle post, so if you're only here for my fashion, makeup and hairstyle posts, this might not be for you.

The holiday started with a tedious car journey that took 3 hours, despite the fact that it was supposed to take 1 hour. After getting stuck in traffic and being lost numerous times, we finally made it to our new home, a lovely cottage in the midst of a cute little village. It was very welcoming and cosy, already feeling like home after being there for only 5 minutes. We were even greeted with a welcome hamper, which had plenty of basics in it, as well as biscuits and dog treats! Here are the photos of the cottage that I took:

Since it was about 3 o'clock by the time we'd unloaded the car, we decided to spend our day exploring the local area. We weren't short of a country walk as we were surrounded by many fields and hills, and there was a local shop and post office which we also had a look at. You may not know this about me, but I love the countryside and walking, it's something that makes me feel happier and I can fully relax. I captured some beautiful images of the hills, rivers and scenery in general. While walking, we actually found something called Tegla's Well, which supposedly had healing properties. I found this super interesting but didn't fancy trying it.

When returning back to the village, I noticed that they'd recently had a scarecrow festival, where each villager makes a creative scarecrow and there's a competition. There's one of these near where I live, so it was cool to see their take on it and marvel at their creations. Most of them had been taken down, but I took photos of the few remaining.

The rest of the day was pretty relaxing. I read a lot of my book, Insurgent, before heading out for tea. We had to find dog friendly places to eat, but luckily there was a few pubs and restaurants nearby that were suitable. After eating, we decided to go for another walk as it was just going dark. We went in the cemetery that was opposite our cottage and past a spooky field which looked haunted, but the rain cancelled our plans of going very far.

Skip forward to Tuesday, our first full day in Wales. We decided to go to a town which was about 30 minutes away from us for the day. When we arrived, we noticed that there was a huge river, so we spent some time walking along the promenade. I took some photos of the lovely sight, as well as another church and some cute houses in the hills, which were really pretty.

In the afternoon, we visited the train station that was also in the town. It was a dog friendly steam train, so luckily we could all get on it. It was really old fashioned and was like trains used to be, which I loved. We got on the train for a 30 minute journey to another village, where we was allowed to spend 45 minutes before returning. It looked like a nice place but it rained the entire time we was there, so I couldn't get many photos.

After eating at another dog friendly restaurant that night and returning home, we went for the same evening walk as we did the day before, except we managed to get a lot further without the rain. I then went home, read some more of my book and woke up ready for our final full day left in Wales. The next day, I had a very filling breakfast/lunch, where I basically ate lots to keep me going. I had a bowl of Greek yoghurt with strawberries, a bowl of cornflakes, a dozen mini sausage rolls, 2 pieces of chicken and 2 dark chocolate and ginger biscuits which was very filling. 

We then decided to do a walk in the forest throughout the day, which was probably my favourite part of the holiday. Apart from trees, hills and the reservoir, there wasn't much there, but I loved just being able to walk and talk to my family. Our walk was supposed to last for 2.5 miles, but we were enjoying it so much that we decided to change route and ended up doing 4 miles. We saw some beautiful scenery and there wasn't much rain, which was lucky.

We finished a lot earlier than anticipated, so we went into another local town, this one only being about 10 minutes away from where we stayed. Most of them were closed because it was a half day on Wednesday, but I still enjoyed just walking around. We passed yet another church and some old fashioned houses which I really loved. After eating our meal and going home to watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I fell asleep and had one of the best sleeps in a long time, probably due to me being shattered from the previous days.

Thursday soon arrived and it was time to head home, which I was really sad about. I didn't want to leave as I was having such a good time, but it was a great experience that I won't forget. I saw some amazing sights and spent quality time with my family and dog.

I hope you enjoyed this post and liked seeing a brief overview of my holiday! It isn't my usual blogging content, but I thought it made a nice change and it'd be good to get to know me better. I am aware that the photos aren't the best and some are probably out of focus. I took all of them with my iPhone camera, so they're not the best quality, but I still think that they're pretty good, considering I usually photograph products and makeup looks, not scenery.

If you want to read the daily blog posts from this week, each one is linked below for you to enjoy!

Wednesday- Summer Lovin Tag

Thanks for reading and I'll see you again tomorrow for the first post in my back to school series!

Love from Daisy x

Post a Comment